Thursday, May 20, 2010

Working on a New Piece

I'm excited about the look of the background fabric. As I am thinking about my choice, I realize that perhaps I was influenced by the work of an artist friend, Nancy Laliberte. In her art pieces, "Carnival" and "Spring Green", (posted March 19-20, 2010) she made wonderful use of light coming from behind the trees. So often, I believe we are subconsciously influenced by the work of others. We see a major idea or just a tiny detail that sticks in our minds. It may be months or longer, but some day that idea spouts new life in our work.

As you can see, I am continuing to work on this small piece. I fused a paper backed adhesive to the lace and then fused it to the background. It worked but I was certainly glad I used a non-stick pressing sheet because the openness of the lace left a lot of room for the adhesive to come through.

I started cutting small leaves from a hand-dyed silk. The color seems to work well and give a soft look. Will the leaves have a glow against the morning sky?

1 comment:

  1. Glad to help Sharon! Although I think your work inspires me more! BTW-I have another tree painting in the works on my easel. There is something about trees that just pulls me in-can't paint them enough!
    Cheers my friend,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...