Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Tuesday's Tile - Hybrid Flowers

Quilter's Tile - Hybrid
8" x 8"
©2012 - Sharon V. Rotz


Inspired by a new seed catalog, I had thoughts of flowers running through my head. Although I love flowers, my garden never seems to live up to my expectations.



So I turn to fabric. With a ruched flower made from a yellow and purple striped fabric, I set out to create my own flower garden.  (Step-by-step instructions for ruching were given in a previous post.)


I tried stamping some leaves on a white muslin background and they will become the background for my ruched flowers. 


The stamped background was zig-zag stitched to a striped square of fabric which will become the borders. Underlining (adding an extra layer of white fabric under the leaf fabric) kept the stripes from showing through.


A bit of rickrack adds a decorative fence around my garden. And remember from a previous post, I have a large quantity of rickrack to choose from.


The ruched flowers were hand appliqued onto the leaf background and beads were added to the center. I chose a large yellow bead with a lavender seed bead on top.


Instead of binding the edge, I decided to wrap this Quilter's Tile around an artist's canvas. Here it is, ready to be stapled to the back.

My garden is ready to go, no watering, and no weeding.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...