Monday, February 7, 2011

How High Can the Pillows Go?

While we are savoring our Packers victory in the Super Bowl, I am still piling pillows up higher and higher.

Today, I've gathered my scraps strips. We often have extra strips of fabrics left over when we work on a project. These become orphans in our stash, too good to throw away and not enough to make anything. When my pile of strips gets big, I start making "freedom blocks", log cabin blocks of various colors and width of strips. These are recut to a common size and make wonderful, zany quilt blocks. The full instructions are in my book, Log Cabin Quilts with Attitude.




To go even further, you can make a lively butterfly pillow to brighten your room and coordinate with your bed quilt. Four blocks were made from excess strips from the quilt. These were cut into rectangles and stitched into a four-patch. I added a bit of rickrack on the to edge of the pillow as I stitched the front and the back together. A wired ribbon is wrapped around the pillow and ends are twisted to make the butterfly antennas.


Today, take a look at your scraps and see what you can make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...