Thursday, February 17, 2011

What is in Your Sketchbook?

Do you sketch? Do you plan your projects? Do you make working drawings that are colored, or filled with swatches of fabrics that you will use?

I have to admit that this is my downfall. These are the steps that I want to skip so I can jump right in to cutting and arranging the fabric. I want to get things done. These other steps seem too much like practice and I don't like to practice (much to the dismay of my music teachers all those years ago). I like to think that I practice in my head as those ideas go tumbling around and around.

I am working on it. For the past year, I have been working in a sketchbook, at least taking minor steps to draw, arrange and plan some of my work before I attack the fabric. Is this approach as much fun as rambling around, tossing fabric in the air and hoping it comes down "artfully"? As they say, the jury is out.


Sketchbook drawing
Marigolds

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...