Sunday, January 23, 2011

Serging and Flouncing About a Bit More









Climbing Roses
23" x 10"
Sharon V. Rotz








As you can see, for this project I decided to use my serged flounce on the binding edge of the wallhanging. It would make a wonderful pillow edge as well. (We could consider this a flat pillow.)

This wallhanging combines units of string piecing, a fun and creative use for small scraps of fabric, with three dimensional applique. The leaves were folded wrong sides together and overlock-serged on the curved open edge. The top edge of a red batik fabric strip was serged with a rolled edge. The strip of fabric was then formed into the roses and hand stitched onto the background.



This project gave me a chance to explore more options for using my serger as a quilting tool. Now, new images of serged flounces are creeping into my brain. How could I incorporate a flounce into the center of a project? maybe between rows of blocks, hmmm.

For more quilting ideas using your serger, please refer to my latest book, Serge and Merge Quilts.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, I am using your idea on a dress. Before I cut the fabric, I will use paper first, just to be safe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...