Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tuesday's Tile Caught Stepping Out

Quilter's Tile - Mowing Around the Violet Patch
8" x 8"
©2011 - Sharon V. Rotz


This past week-end I had the opportunity to view this heartfelt show.


Original Valentines
Artful Expressions of Affections
February 25 - March 17, 2012

Nicolet College
Art Gallery
Rhinelander, WI 54501

I felt privileged to be part of this show and one of my Tuesday's Tiles, Mowing Around the Violet Patch,with its tiny silk ribbon flowers, caught the attention of many. By mounting this small work on a fabric covered canvas elevated it from a simple square (or as Mom would say - potholder) to a dainty artwork. Because this piece reminds me of my dad, it holds special meaning for me. 



Each of the pieces in the show had a special meaning to the artist and it was thought provoking for the viewers. The varied artworks were hung between delightful valentines, the kind I remember as a child. 





One of my favorites was Apple of My Eye - Applemania. 
(used with permission of the artist)


The apples looked so juicy and delicious that I thought certainly this was a photograph. I was totally mistaken because this lovely artwork was a pastel done by central Wisconsin artist, Andrea Fenner.

Poetry as well as art was displayed. One of my favorites was a poem by Jane Banning (used with permission of the author).

Yearling Deer

Back legs stork-thin
knock-kneed
front feet
tiny hooves of a Victorian lady
neck long as a brown question 
she eats mushrooms,
twitches her tail,
browses.

With the planting 
of each
hoof-gloved foot,
I, blunt and fleshy-handed,
am unsure
which one of us
is the more
evolved.

What would your artful expression of affection say? Do you have a favorite quilt or other artwork that shares a bit of your life, brings to mind a beloved person or evokes images of a special moment?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...