Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Tuesday's Tile - A Time for Trying and Learning

Quilter's Tile - Striped Grass
8" x 8"
©2013 - Sharon V. Rotz

Lately, I have been working on several challenge projects. The fun part of challenges is the big reveal when everyone gets together for a time of show and tell.  Because this time has not yet come, I cannot show you any of my larger recent projects.

With that in mind, today's project is a small one that I have been hand stitching in my spare moments. The base is a gel print which I made last summer when my world wasn't filled with the blasts of another snow storm. Over this background, I have worked lines of chain stitches for my "grass". 



It was an unexpected move to use grey for the seed heads. The color seemed to have no relationship to the rest of the piece but the more I did, the more I liked the combination. Again, my small Quilter's Tile gave me a chance to try something new.

When it came to finishing the project, I wanted to repeat the color combination. What would stripes of grey and green look like?


Without the perfect fabric in my stash, I found two fabrics and cut a strip of each to piece and re-piece to create a striped fabric.


How will this look with my embroidered center?  Too much? But, you don't know it you don't try so I continued on.


With the curving lines of the grass in mind, I curved the borders and stitched them on.


Oh, a bit too wide and pretty powerful!


Trimmed down a bit, maybe not too bad. 


A top and bottom binding added on.

What did I learn?
The color combination worked for me.
I would leave more space around my center, it seems a little squished in.
The border is fun, but still could be narrower.

But the biggest thing that I learned is to try it.  

Have you tried something new this week?








6 comments:

  1. I think it works. Very nice. I am in a small fiber group as well. We also work small. That in itself is a challenge. But you are right, the best part is when everyone presents their piece and their thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love experimenting...and YOUR 'try it' turned out to be a beautiful one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's one good thing about challenges - it stretches you and can turn you into a new direction. I love how the border uses the over all value to add depth to the piece. Its quite brilliant! If you see me use that devise in a future piece you'll know you inspired it - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon, I love this! The border is fabulous, and the green and gray works beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all your comments. It's wonderful to get feed-back from other quilters. I do plan to try this border on another quilt. If you try it let me know, I would like to know how it worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the stitching on the interesting background that the gel printing makes. The border sets it up nicely.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...