Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tuesday's Tile - A Fishy Rescue



Quilter's Tile - A Fishy Rescue
8" x 8"
@2012 Sharon V. Rotz


This past week, I took a workshop with Darcy Lanz-Sage, an expert at fabric dying. We had the chance to try many different dying and printing techniques and I came home with wonderful fabrics to add to my collection.


This piece left a little to be desired. We were discharging color with a bleach gel and I think I got carried away. In my enthusiasm, I may not have been listening to the instructions. (It's been known to happen.)

But I'm always up for a quilt rescue so I didn't throw away this piece. I could see what could be interpreted as a fish skeleton.


With some hand embroidery stitches, my fish came to life.


I added a stitch that I previously tried and thought would work well as underwater vegetation. Just because it is called the "wheatear stitch" doesn't mean it couldn't breath "under the surface".



I added those fun, fun french knots at the top and bottom. And my rescue is complete.




Here's looking at you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...