Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tuesday's Tile - Is your Serger a Quilting Tool?

Quilter's Tile - Playtime
8" x 8"
©2012 - Sharon V. Rotz

Are you a serger owner? If you are, do you see your serger as one of your quilting tools? 

With the rapid speed of your serger, you can quickly piece your quilts. I've had fun zipping through my piecing. I've also found that I like the added detail I get when the serging is done on the front of the quilt.


Normally we stitch our seams with right sides together, but if you like the look of the serging showing on the front of your project you will start with fabrics wrong sides together.


You will be creating a seam allowance on the front side of the fabrics rather than on the back side.


When the seam is pressed open, the serged seam is showing.


With a detailed photo, you can see the color and thread accenting the pieced squares of this simple block.

Looking for more ideas for combining serging and quilting? I invite you to explore the ideas found in my book "Serge and Merge Quilts".

Dust off your serger and use it as your newest quilting tool. What will you make? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...