Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tuesday's Tiles

Quilter's Tile - Ghosts of Koi
8" x 8"
©2011 Sharon V. Rotz



One bright and sunny day, the happy little quilter decided to brighten up her garden with a soothing and serene pond full of colorful, orange and white koi. The little quilter dug and dug and filled her pond with clear, clean water. Cheerfully, she admired her beautiful koi as she placed them in the water. How she loved their bright, intense orange color.

But, as the fish splashed into the water, their brilliant color began to bleed. Alas, they were not colorfast. The sad little quilter was left with nothing but ghosts of koi.


Moral of story: Always test your koi before adding them to your pond.




Today's Tile was made using Jacquard's Dye-na-Flow and Lumiere paints. The orange Dye-na-Flow was marbled into the background. The metallic olive Lumiere was painted on with a round brush. The fish were drawn on with Zig Textile markers. The borders were fused on with Lite Steam-a-Seam. The free-motion quilting was done with a rich rust Madeira rayon thread.


I enjoyed each step along the way in this project, exploring and trying new things.

I tried a new way of finishing the quilt. (These steps were done before quilting.)



I pieced the back leaving a slit to turn the quilt. I then layered the backing, top and batting and stitched totally around the quilt.


I turned the quilt, only to find that the corners were not not firmly stitched and starting to pull apart. Oops!

As you can tell by my lack of concern, things like this often happen and I just carry on.

Plan 2:  I am now "rounding" the corners. I'm going to like this so much better now!! (Actually, I did.)



After turning the quilt, I hand stitched the opening closed. I then pressed the edges and machine quilted my quilter's tile.

I did like this finishing method and I would do it again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...