Friday, November 18, 2011

Finished, at last and in the spotlight


As I walked into my studio this morning, the sun was coming through the window and there in the spotlight was my blue broken star. I had just completed hand stitching the binding last night and now my finished quilt was shining in all its splendor. Finished, at last.



Today, I want to share with you the method that I used for the binding.


First I cut strips of one of my coordinating fabrics, piecing as needed to get the length. I make enough to got around the quilt plus at least 6 inches extra. Because this quilt has an uneven edge, I allowed a bit  more.



I fed one end of the strip through a Clover 18 mm ( 3/4") bias tape marker.



I pulled the bias tape maker along and pressed the strip as it came out.



Then I opened one side of my coordinating tape and stitched it to the quilt edge for a binding. This strip was then folded around to the back of the quilt and hand stitched to the back.




Blue Broken Star 
44" x 44"
©2011 Sharon V. Rotz

The basic pattern for a broken star quilt is available at my website.

How will you make it your own?

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!
    thanks for sharing with us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I love sharing and hope you will be inspired in your work.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...