Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tuesday's Tile - Off Balance

Quilter's Tile - Off Balance
8" x 8"
©2012 - Sharon V. Rotz


It started with a piece of chenille fabric I made long ago. It intrigued me, I pondered. What I could do with it? 

The chenille was made from 5 layers of fabric stitched together diagonally and then stashed down to the bottom layer. A wash and tumble dry plumps the slashed layers.


 What I kept stumbling over was the fact that the design was off balance. If the plaid used as the top layer were only centered, then I knew I could use it. We do like things to line up, don't we?


Determined to stay with it and not put it aside another time, I found a narrow piece of felted wool and three small doilies.


I arranged them over the chenille and stitched them on. No plan in mind, just playing, covering up the off balance chenille design. Oh, maybe this will work after all.


I added some decorative cord to areas.


A simple edge finish seemed appropriate, so I zigzagged over a strand of yarn. This didn't do it. It was not heavy enough to cover the edge and too many threads were poking out. A second row of stitching around the edge didn't help. What else could I do?


I chose to stitch another strand of yarn butted against the first.


This helped to cover the edge better and gave the edge the visual weight that it needed.

Mission completed!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...