Friday, October 11, 2013

Make Your Fabric Work for You

Sumac Roadways
Sharon V. Rotz

This week I have been revisiting some of my older works and looking for concepts that I particularly would like to repeat again. This is one of my favorites. Although I've used only a handful of fabrics, they are all working to their maximum to create a complex-looking image.



What I like about the binding is the fabric that I chose and how the fabric pattern works to create an  interesting design edge. The binding was, of course, done the traditional way of wrapping a strip of fabric around the edge of the quilt but looking at the pattern of the printed fabric, there is the illusion of  jagged movement encircling the center.

Do you ever analyze what makes your favorite quilts work?


7 comments:

  1. interesting question. I guess I do, when I pull them out to see again, I decide why I like them, or after some distance, what could have been different. This binding is terrific, and shows design work is important, not just playing with different techniques.
    LeeAnna Paylor leeannaquilts@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the effect of the edging....it looks so complicated!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I often look at my older art quilts and do that since I've changed my style and I look to see what I still like about the older ones and what I don't like about them. It helps a lot to that type of analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful.....I have a stack of Asian inspired fabrics and have hauled them out more than I can tell you....I have NO clue what to do with them...you clearly had a vision!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of making your fabric work for you and not the other way around!
    A lovely graphic piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely piece. Thanks for highlighting the binding--it gives a wonderful effect, very graphic. Your question about analyzing your work is interesting. My first reaction would be "no time for that", but really, I've found that having blogs makes reflection easier.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your thoughts. I can see you are thinking about your quilts, what you have done and what you might like to do in the future. My thought is "Each quilt I make is practice for my next one."

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...