Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tuesday's Tile - Resisting and Using Resist

Quilter's Tile - A Gossip
8" x 8"
©2011 - Sharon V. Rotz

This Quilter's Tile is one of my favorites because of both the words to live by and the technique used. First, this should be my prayer everyday, to take the time to think before words come tumbling out of my mouth.

A troublemaker plants seeds of strife. 
A gossip separates the best of friends. 
Proverbs 16:28


To make the project, you need a resist (something that the dye or paint would not penetrate) to draw the lips. In this case, I used a bottle of white children's school glue that would later wash out. After I drew the lips and let the glue dry, I painted on the fabric using Dye-na-flow paints. After the paint was thoroughly dry, I soaked the fabric to remove the glue. The hardest part of this process is the waiting for things to dry. I tend to be too anxious to see the results and waiting is SO hard.

After the fabric was prepared, I layered the fabric and used free-motion machine quilting to highlight the lips and add the words.


The binding was made by turning the backing fabric to the front and hand stitching mitered corners. After folding under the raw edge, I used cross-stitches to secure the binding. 

Will you spend your day resisting?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...